Saturday, August 14, 2010

My other brother (or one of them anyway)

   Today is my older brother William's birthday. He is 23 today, which I find odd, because the last time I saw him was January last year, though I doubt a lot has changed. Anyway, I thought I ought to write a post about him today.

   I don't know if I mentioned this in my post about David, but when my birthmother was pregnant with me, and William found out I was going to be adopted, apparently he asked her, "When are we going to have a baby we can keep?" I always remind myself of that when I don't hear from him for long periods of time. Sometimes I'd like to remind him of that, too, but I'm not that mean.

   I remember when I met my brother for the first time. My birthmum came to Queenstown and took him with her. I remember my adoptive mother made pizza, and it had onions on it. Then when William and Gillian, my birthmother (I've never really called anyone mum, out of sheer confusion) arrived, she informed us that actually William will not eat onions. So we had to make up a special onion-free pizza for him. To this day, I believe, he still won't eat onions. David told me a few weeks ago that apparently William does share my love of cheese though. I hope he has learned not to eat it before going to bed.

   I don't think he actually knows what a bed is. For years now he's been working multiple jobs and pretending he doesn't need sleep, which of course catches up to him eventually. Nearly every time he talked to me (back when he wasn't too tired to talk to anyone) he would always talk about sleep. Some things probably never change...

   It's weird writing about someone you haven't seen in well over a year, because without anything recent, I hardly know what to write about him, other than "he still doesn't talk to us". But in case you get the wrong idea from this, I don't hate him at all. He's still a pretty awesome (though distant) brother.

This is me and my brother the last time I saw him. Which was in January. Last year. Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment